Sunday, March 01, 2009

Mixing Things Up

Jeremy and I have occasion, at this point in our lives, to feel the pressures and stress that accompany a global economic downturn. I'm sure we're not alone. But rather than wallow in the uncertainty of our current situation, we've chosen instead to do what any good American would do in times like these: make a mix tape. This is always the best way to deal with difficult times. Another thing that helps is to use the phrase "in times like these" or "in these difficult times" as often as possible. (Example: "Should we buy fresh fruits and vegetables this week?" Answer: "That's a frivolous concern in times like these.")

So that our general readership might feel the enlightenment we've achieved by uncovering hope in these hard times, we are (at least temporarily) changing the theme and focus of our blog. But since we are, generally, not too focused (at least I'm not), you may not notice a huge difference. Keep coming back, though, and you will find that, even in times like these...

A Tonic for Times like These:

1. Kenny Loggins, Danny's Song (This is the glue of the whole album. Key line: "Even though we ain't got money/ I'm so in love with you, Honey.")
2. Tracy Chapman, Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution (Key line: "Poor people gonna rise up/ And take what's theirs." Wait for it.)
3. Bob Marley, Three Little Birds
4. Inoj, Time After Time (Classy remix of a classic song.)
5. Jewel, Have a Little Faith in Me
6. Bob Dylan, Shelter from the Storm
7. The Beatles, Here Comes the Sun
8. Travis, Flowers in the Window
9. Tom Petty, Wildflowers
10. Elizabeth Mitchell, Peace like a River (If you don't know Elizabeth Mitchell, you should.)
11. Norah Jones, Sunrise
12. Guns n' Roses, Patience
13. Tom Petty, Time to Move On
14. Eddie Vedder, Rise (Has anyone else noticed how many artists on this list are notorious potheads? They're all Jeremy's picks, natch.)
15. Alison Krauss, I'll Fly Away
16. Natalie Merchant, Kind and Generous

5 comments:

Tara said...

LOVE IT! We hear you loud and clear on the effect this economy is having and personal uncertainty. I'm teaching now, which is why I almost never blog. "in times like these" blogging can feel a bit frivolous, but it sure helps with sanity! :) I love your song list. Thanks for posting it. I need to listen to more good music. You should post a song list for every month.

Anonymous said...

I think you should go to playlist, make a playlist titled, In times Like These, stick it on your blog for all your readers to enjoy!

Rebekah said...

no songs of racial harmony for times like these? no ebony and ivory? i'm surprised by your oversight, especially in times like these...

Rachel said...

Reba--I stand corrected and duly chastised. In times like these, I should not let my quest to pay my utilities allow me to forget what really matters. With that in mind, I seek your approval of the following additions:

1. 2Pac, Changes
2. Blessed Union of Souls, I Believe
3. Black Eyed Peas, Where Is the Love (Although I am not a fan...I swear that song haunted me during its heyday.)

And, since you suggested it:

4. McCartney & Wonder, Ebony & Ivory

What do you think, Reba?

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Nice songs! And thanks for posting them in a playlist!