
For many years, Jeremy and I have figured that we'd know exactly when the future arrived because everyone in the world would be eating Dippin' Dots. This assumption, of course, is based on Dippin' Dots' carefully crafted slogan: "The Ice Cream of the Future."
Well, I have some bad news: the future may never get here, because Dippin' Dots filed for bankruptcy.
I have mixed feelings about this development. Obviously, I'm a bit sad that the future is over before it even started. Not only are Dippin' Dots gone, but I see a pathetic dearth of hover vehicles driving all of the carefully constructed sky highways. On the other hand, if the future was going to be determined by a nearly tasteless pile of liquid-nitrogen-frozen ice cream beads made by a company based in Paducah, Kentucky, then I'm not sure the future was destined to be very bright in the first place.
Nevertheless, the end of Dippin' Dots feels like the end of an era, and Jeremy and I are scrambling to figure out what the next sign of the future will be. When people finally start riding around on Segways? When robots make my breakfast toast? I'm at a total loss. My only comfort now is in reading back issues of Popular Science magazine. Because according to them, "The Future Is Now."

3 comments:
ha ha, this makes me laugh!! Especially because whenever Matt and I are somewhere where Dippin' Dots are being sold, I have to tell him how much I dislike them! Here's to a brighter future without them!
Oh no! I never even tried one bite. I'll bet the neopolitan would have been delicious. But at $5 a bowl and 5 kids.... the future was looking mighty expensive!
Rachel, you are hilarious. Loved this - too funny!
Post a Comment