Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hair Fairy

Every morning when Clara wakes up, Jeremy and I are eager to see what the hair fairy has done to her in the night. Usually the hair fairy does something truly stunning, often involving the weaving of a tightly tangled rat's nest in the back or in a mop of loopy, wild curls on top. It's never quite the same, but it's nearly always memorably tangled.

Clara's hair is a blessing...and a curse. People love to compliment her on her curls, and when her hair is done well it really is cute. But overall her hair is a real source of tribulation to her (and, I'll be honest, to me). She does not like to have it brushed because of the tangles, and every morning we do our battle of wills in my effort to send her out the door at least a half step above the "wild animal" look.

(I should add that I'm probably getting my just desserts with Clara, since I *vaguely* recall giving my mom all kinds of grief about getting my hair done. In my defense, though, she really was rough with the brush. And once she burned me on my forehead with the curling iron--an act of aggression that I'm convinced was retribution for my giving her a hard time. Thoughts, Mom? :)

Lately, Clara's hair has been getting increasingly long and unwieldy. She's fond of telling me she wishes she had "long, flat hair," but that's just never going to happen. And when she said that even with her curls she wanted to grow it out, I just had to count to three before telling her that everything that made her sad about getting her hair done would just be worse with long hair. Finally, I convinced her to let me cut it, and we got the job done this afternoon. She seems happy with the result, but I am truly elated. I feel like a huge weight (of curly blonde hair) has been lifted from my shoulders. And I think I did an all right job, despite my lack of know-how. I do like being able to take her to get her hair cut, but in times like these, you know...

Here are photos: one before, two after. As a bonus, you can see the truth of my housekeeping in the background. What a great day!



4 comments:

Britney said...

The hair fairy visits us, too. For the past few years we've been fighting back every morning with Suave's detangling spray for kids. It's a miracle worker. :)

Kristin said...

Wow, Rachel! I am impressed. Great haircut. Clara is darling. Sophie and I have had a better relationship since we got her haircut too. :)

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Ah, but the grass is always greener. I have had "long, flat hair" for my entire life and have ALWAYS longed for curls. :)

It turned out very cute, and I can sympathize with the hair brushing thing. Josephine's hair is such torture to brush (both for her AND me!) every single morning. She often ends up crying because of all the tangles.

And I, like you, have memories of my Mom brushing my hair SO HARD!! I remember my head just aching after she was done styling it!

Tristen said...

IT looks so cute! I've recently been using an immense amount of conditioner before I brush Avery's hair-- just spray it down then rub the conditioner into the hair like lotion until it's JUST a touch slimy. I've learned that it takes all of the pain out of brushing, also gives it a nice sheen. But you have a while before you are going to have to worry about it again!! :) All of the detanglers are just conditioner, really. Avery appreciates it, at least!