We have been laid up for more than a week now with lots of snot and sickness and general malaise. Clara came down with a virus last Monday, which developed into a secondary ear infection, which led to an epic battle over the drinking of amoxicillin, which led to a new prescription of chewable antibiotics, which was followed by a ruptured ear drum, which means we can't get any water in her ear for two weeks, which means her hair is looking a tad greasy. And now we're going through the same thing with poor Jonathan--minus the ear infection and the medicine and the greasy hair (knock on wood). It's been a long week.
But, in times like these, it always pays to keep one's good humor intact. Clara helps out with this, since she always has something interesting and amusing to say. The other day, for example, she got out her halloween pumpkin bag and told us she was going to the store. "Good-bye, Friends!" she proclaimed before waltzing off to the laundry room closing the door. When she returned a few moments later, we asked her what she'd bought at the store. "Meat," she answered. Of course.
Also, she was looking at a wedding picture of Jeremy and me. She pointed to my dress and veil and said, "Kess gets married, too" (it's important to note here that she calls herself "Kess" if she uses her name at the beginning of a sentence; otherwise, it's Care-la). I told her she could get married when she was a very big girl like mommy, and she looked at the picture, touched the veil, and said, "Kess wears a purple dress and wings!!" So I guess it looks like I'm wearing fairy wings with my evidently purple dress. Go figure.
And finally, we recently bought a copy of the classic Little Golden Book The Tawny Scrawny Lion at the Goodwill. Several times the words say that the lion wants to be "as fat as butter." After many, many readings, Clara turned to me, poked my lumpy tummy, and said, "Mommy's fat as butter." Bless her heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Clara is lovely! Although, you are not as fat as butter. She's wrong there, friend! :)
We LOVE that book! The old classics are so fun to read. And don't worry - kids perception of size is SO messed up. The other day Josephine told me I was "bigger than Daddy" - um, yeah...
Yummy Clara. I hope you're writing all of these Care'la-isms down for potential future humiliation and certain delights.
I love it! That cute little Clara! I still laugh about her funny joke from the last time I saw her! I am sorry about the sick part though that is definetly no fun! P.S. I don't think your as fat as butter!
Someone needs to introduce Clara to being Classic and Classy. Saying things like "fat as butter" are not Classic, or Classy, or in this case, true. But, since she's really cute, and was thoughtful enough to buy meat in times like these, you should probably let it slide.
We just finished up Mia's round of antibiotics for the same thing (her eardrum didn't rupture though). She liked taking her medicine and would remind me of it by coming and saying "candy time" no matter how many times I told her it was medicine and not candy. Thank goodness for childproof bottles.
Maybe she thought your plain white wedding dress was boring and she just wishes you would have worn purple (with wings).
I do agree with her on the butter, in that you are exactly as fat as a slender stick of butter.
What a great thing to chuckle over as I go to bed. I was just about to turn over the computer when I thought, "what is Rachel up to?" And what a treat. I'm sorry you've been sick!! I hope the kids get better and that you keep laughing.
She is such a funny precocious little girl. I bought the "Tawny Scrawny Lion" at a garage sale so I could read it to my grandkids. I used to read it all the time when I was a kid and LOVED it.
Sorry you were sick!!
See, I thought the idea is that Kess wants to be dressed in purple and wear wings at her own wedding!
And that's probably because at her age white dresses are boring:)
We love reading your blog! I get so giddy every Sunday when I run to the computer to see how everyone is doing and think to myself... "I can't wait to read the Bryson's blog.. you have such a sweet family! Your little Care-la is so cute. (I remember Gavin used to call her that.) She is ad-or-a-ble.
We miss you guys!
Post a Comment